Sunday, September 16, 2007

Loneliness chap 1.

Loneliness: The Experience of Emotional and Social Isolation
1. The Study of Loneliness
According to Robert S. Weiss, in “Loneliness” in the MIT Press 1973, p 7-30, even though there has been little research on loneliness(p.9), “useful distinction between emotional and social isolation”(p.19) was built, and its effect is depend on ages, gender, and wealth(p.26).
The writer explains the reason that few psychologists or sociologists have studied the ordinary loneliness of ordinary people is neglect of loneliness (Weiss, 1973, p.9). He say “Loneliness is much more often commented on by songwriters than by social scientists” Frieda Fromm-Reichmann also noticed that “the absence of attention to loneliness was to be explained not by the challenge loneliness presented to understanding but rather by the threat it presented to well-being (Weiss, 1973, p.10).
However, Weiss established a distinction between two sorts of loneliness: emotional isolation and social isolation (1973, p.19). According to Weiss, first one “results from the loss or lack of a truly intimate tie (usually with spouse, parent, or child)” (1973, p.20) and second one is “consequence of lacking a network of involvements with peers of some sort” such as fellow workers, kinfolk, neighbors (1973, p.22)
Also, Weiss explains specific group of people are more vulnerable to loneliness. Through a telephone survey, he figure out that women are easier to feel lonely and it is more sever as they get older (1973, p.26). Weiss adds poor people are more likely to be lonely comparing to rich people (1973, p.27).

1 comment:

AlisonChang said...

Hi, jay, this is Alison.
Although the comment as below may not looked pleasant, it cross my heart! I hope you would not hate it :)

By the way, becuase we didn't have enough time to share my reading summary, I would please you to look at my summary on my blog and give me some commet.



In Jay’s report, “Loneliness”, he mentioned that almost all the Koreans are afraid of being called “Mr/Ms. Loneliness” because they do not like people to see them as a “boring person” or as “no social activity person”, based on Jay, and he was going to find the reason in his research. Yet, he did not point out whether the phenomenon is a fact from the book or is his own opinion. He did not support his opinion because our discussion ran out of time because of Ibrahim’s report. (I didn’t even have any time to share and give my report to Jay and Ibrahim.) In addition, of course, he has not started doing his research yet, so he is not able to provide details on what he has stated.
Nevertheless, in my opinion, Jay seemed to need more time to evaluate his material because he did not give enough reasons, details or information from his book. From my experience, many of my Korean friends who went to travel alone were very proud of themselves about traveling alone. Therefore, if Koreans are afraid to be called or indicated that they are Mr/Ms. Loneliness, I wonder why many of my Korean friends enjoyed traveling alone. However, I am not Korean, so I may not understand Koreans as much as Jay who was born in Korea.


Have a good day, Jay :)
Don't forget to leave some commet on my blog.http://alicenchang.blogspot.com/

Alison :)